Programme Code: LLIC2020HKU
Target Audiences: HKU Undergraduates (for non-HKU/Overseas Undergraduates, please click here instead)
Area of Interest: Asia Cities: Business, Culture and Society, Experiential Learning / Internships, Multi-location
Programme Period: June 29 to August 14, 2020 (7 weeks)
Programme Fee: Funding available (excluding air ticket cost of approx. HKD4000)
Accommodation Fee: Included
Application Deadline: March 31, 2020 (HKT 23:59)
*Applicants are advised to apply as early as possible since places are limited.
Founded in 2008, The Learn, Live and Intern in China (LLIC) Programme at The University of Hong Kong (HKU) brings together participants from around the world to experience China through a 6-week internship. LLIC has a unique network of companies that offer internships to our participants in China. Once accepted to LLIC, participants are automatically guaranteed an internship with one of our partner companies. The internships may not directly relate to a student’s major, but rather are intended to provide broader practical work experience and an insight into local working culture and life in modern China.
LLIC is unique in three ways:
- Many of the LLIC partner companies require neither Chinese language skills nor previous field experience from interns. Applicants from any academic background can apply.
- LLIC not only handles the internship placement for participants, but also will help arrange air-ticket between Hong Kong and China and houses all interns together.
- LLIC offers a unique framework for cultural exchange among local participants as well as overseas participants, as half of LLIC interns will be selected from HKU applicants and the other half from overseas institutions. All LLIC participants will truly get the chance to meet people from all over the world.
Because of its small size and generous funding offered to participants, LLIC remains an exclusive programme whose past participants come from some of the best universities in the world. Participants in previous programmes have represented universities such as Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Cornell, Pennsylvania, Yale, Cambridge and Oxford, among other quality institutions whose participants continue to join each summer.
LLIC consists of a 4-day seminar series at the University of Hong Kong, followed by a 6-week internship programme in China.
This programme is designed to equip participants with a deeper understanding of the fastest-growing economic and business environments in the world through an in-depth exploration of China markets by having guest speaker talks and firm visits with senior management of leading companies in Hong Kong.
This programme focuses on practical experience of the current business environment, marketing and branding, consumer behavior, and cross-cultural management in China. Guest speaker talks, firm visits and internships are the core components in achieving the programme’s objectives.
Most recently, with the “One Belt One Road” initiative raised by China’s government, local and international firms need to develop a new mindset if they want to be competitive in such a huge, diverse and fast-changing environment as China.
Participants will also acquire personal experience of a variety of cultures and societies, and develop truly international perspectives and practical work experience via internships in China.
- to develop participants’ understanding of business management, marketing and branding involving culture, social, economic, political and environmental aspects in China context;
- to enhance participants’ knowledge of consumer behavior and corresponding business strategy required;
- to allow participants to acquire in-depth knowledge of the development of finance, technology, retailing, luxury and creative industry sectors in the greater China market;
- to allow participants to develop cross-cultural management skills to work under a cross-boundary and multi-cultural environment;
- to allow participants to experience Hong Kong and China’s business environment and culture via guest talks, firm visits and internship programme.
Programme Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion, participants should be able to:
- Understand the roles of Hong Kong and China in the advancement of manufacturing and servicing industries in the Asian region;
- Understand about the development of various industry sectors in China towards year 2025, especially under the latest “One Belt One Road” Initiative;
- Recognize local consumer behavior, business practice and cultural values; acquire practical skills to develop and implement effective business strategy in China markets;
- Understand the major business management issues in the Asian region and China market, and acquire corresponding techniques to tackle them via cross-cultural management;
- Observe the key success factors of local and international firms, as well as the development of various major industry sectors in Hong Kong and China.
Below is the provisional timeline for the Learn, Live and Intern in China (LLIC) 2020 programme:
Check-in: Sunday June 28, 2020
Check-out: Sunday August 15, 2020
|Seminar Series at HKU||Monday-Friday, June 29 – July 3, 2020 (4 days)|
|Opening Ceremony in China||Saturday July 4, 2020|
|Internship in China||Monday July 6 – Thursday August 13, 2020 (6 weeks)|
|Closing Ceremony in China||Friday August 14, 2020|
Seminar Series at HKU – Award Winning Guest Speaker’s Biography
Please click here for the PDF of the biography of our award-winning speaker – Professor Baniel Cheung.
For possible companies with internship placements, please click here for details. Please note this is a small selection of companies we’ve partnered with in the past – we have an extensive list covering many sectors and industries which we cannot fully list here. We will try our best to match your interests, skills, experiences and preferences, although depending on business needs and vacancy availability, we cannot guarantee a specific company or job role in the allocations process.
Learn, Live and Intern in China (LLIC) 2020 Programme takes place between June 29 and August 14, 2020 (7-weeks). The items below are covered by the programme funding (Hong Kong Pei Hua Education Foundation) for local participants:
- 4-day week seminar series at HKU
- Networking events, social activities and orientation
- Travel Insurance
- Airport transfer in China (to/from Accommodation)
- Accommodation in China
- Internship placement in China (Shanghai)
- HKU Participants: Permanent Resident of HKSAR with HKID Card
- Level of study: Undergraduates only
- Major: Any academic degree/subject/background
Programme Fee: HKD 4,000 (to be collected for purchase of air ticket upon offer acceptance)
Estimated Personal Costs
*Costs are an approximation and will differ depending on individual needs.
|Meals and Transportation||2000 – 4000|
|Miscellaneous and Personal Expenses||4000 – 6000|
*Please note programme content and funding arrangements are subject to change without prior notice.
|December, 2019 – March 31, 2020||Applications open: Please complete the online application form, with the required documents by the deadline. Interested applicants should submit an application as early as possible. Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. For enquiries, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.|
|From April 1, 2020||Interview: Only shortlisted applicants will be notified of further interview arrangements wither in person or Skype. Applicants who do not receive any news within 14 working days after the application deadline will be considered as unsuccessful.|
|From April 1, 2020||Offers: Both successful and unsuccessful applicants will be notified of their application results by email from the HKU Summer Institute. If your application has been successful, you will receive an official Letter of Offer from the HKU Summer Institute. You will then have 5 days to accept this offer and pay your programme fee in full.|
|May 21 – 31, 2020||Placement Results: The placements are all to be determined solely by HKU Summer Institute and are not subject to participant’s requests.|
|May 21 – 31, 2020||China Visa (if applicable): Admitted students will receive the invitation letter issued by the company for visa application, you are recommended to apply for a visa to the designated country via its local embassy.|
Additional Application Materials
In addition to the application materials listed, applicants are required to submit:
- 1-page statement: Please answer the following 2 questions within the text box, keeping your answers to the limit of 500 words.
- Please click here and upload the essays after completion
- Personal Information: Full Name; Mobile & Personal Email
- Education (Current/Most Recent University, Additional major or minor (if any) & GPA, Year of Admission; Expected Year of Graduation)
- Work & Internship Experience
- Volunteer & Extracurricular Experience
- Language & Technical Skills: List all software you can use and any/all of your technical skills, such as programming, video editing, etc.
- Awards & Scholarships
- Home Return Permit:
- If you are a “Home Return Permit” (回鄉證) holder, please upload the most updated copy of “Home Return Permit” onto the application system, and state clearly in the file name
- Terms and Conditions Consent Form:
- Interns must be available for the entire duration of the programme and to start and end the programme in Hong Kong, regardless of where their internship takes place. No exceptions will be made. Please click here to read and sign the consent form then upload to the online system.
The application will be processed only when ALL supporting documents are uploaded to the online application system before the deadline.
*HKU Summer Institute reserves the right to cancel the course should there be insufficient enrolment or any unforeseen circumstances.
|Region:||Local HK Applicants||International Applicants (Not a HK Permanent Resident)|
|Mainland China||Only Home Return Permit (回鄉證) is required.||“F” or “M” China visa|
How to Apply
Terms and Conditions of Participation
Please note that only undergraduate participants are eligible to apply. LLIC strongly encourages you to fully read the website thoroughly to be aware of our terms and conditions before you submit an application. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions by email to email@example.com
Please complete the online application form by clicking on the “Apply Now” button on this page.
Please ensure you upload all required documents with your online application for it to be processed.
Once you have submitted your application, if shortlisted, you may be contacted for an interview anytime between February and April. Accepted interviewees will be notified of their status via email. Interviews will take place either in person or online with one of the LLIC Programme Coordinators.
3. Accepting the offer
Successful applicants should be notified of acceptance onto the programme by email before end of April 2020. Applicants who have confirmed their participation are automatically guaranteed an internship by LLIC, but the location, the company, and the duties of the internship are all to be determined solely by the LLIC Committee, and are not subject to participant’s requests.